Return To HOME Page
THE AUTISM EXPLOSION
The numbers actually show that the rate of
autism is actually 1 in 67 children impacted. (see below)
That translates to about 1 in 37 families
if you take into consideration the fact that the average US family has about 1.8
Below is a copy of an email I received from Ray Gallup, Founder of
The Autism Autoimmunity
Project - TAAP! (parents and key
researchers in the field of autism, looking for answers and helping to educate
the public about vaccination issues - truly some of the best out there in these
Subject: The Autism Explosion
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:51:35 -0500
F. Edward Yazbak, MD, FAAP
When 1 in 150 is really 1 in 67
by Raymond W. Gallup & F. Edward Yazbak, MD, FAAP
Since February 2007, news outlets have widely publicized the fact that
recently released figures by the CDC have estimated the prevalence of autism and
autistic spectral disorders at a NEW high of 1 in 150. In this report, VAP's
co-founder Ray Gallup and Dr. Yazbak examine the most recent United States
Department of Education statistics and reveal that the 1 in 150 estimate is
outdated by five years. They report that the present prevalence of ASD may be as
high as 1 in 67.
We at the Vaccine Autoimmune Project are saddened and concerned to see the
latest Department of Education figures. We are also concerned about what is to
come. It is evident that, 1) our medical authorities are more interested in
defending vaccination programs than controlling autism, the most devastating and
real epidemic we have faced in a hundred years, and 2) our wealthiest and
largest autism association is giving little attention to the role of vaccines
and vaccine additives and preservatives.
A parent and autism activist
According to the most recent report released this past week by California's
Department of Developmental Services (DDS) (www.dds.ca.gov), California's
developmental services system added a record 1,060 new intakes of professionally
diagnosed full syndrome DSM IV autism during the 87 day period from July 3, 2007
to October 3, 2007..a rate of 12 new children a day, seven days a week... or one
new child every two hours.
Never in the 40 year history of California's developmental services system have
1000 or more new children been added in any one three month period to it's
system. During the past 9 months alone California has added over 2900 new
children with full syndrome autism (as always, the numbers of new intakes ONLY
includes professionally diagnosed cases of full syndrome DSM IV autism and DOES
NOT include any other autism spectrum disorders like PDD, NOS, or Asperger's
Syndrome). Keep in mind that it took 16 years (from 1971 to 1987) for
California's DD system to see a total population of 2700 persons with
autism. During the past 9 MONTHS alone California has added 2900 new
Autism is not only the fastest growing condition in California's DD system, now
accounting for over 60% of all the new intakes (the remaining less then 40%
being the COMBINED numbers of new intakes with mental retardation, cerebral
palsy, epilepsy, and conditions that have as part of the condition mental
retardation such as genetic diseases Fragile X and Down's), but; now there are
more persons in California's DD system with a primary diagnosis of autism then
with cerebral palsy.
Unlike any other of the conditions served by California's DD system where you
see between 55-60% of those populations over the age of 22 years old, with
autism only 16% of the population is over the age of 22 years old, 84% between 3
and 21, and eight out of ten between 3 and 18 years old.
BRISBANE, Australia, May 13 A new Australian report shows the treatment of
autism and related conditions is costing the Australian economy about $5.8
billion a year.
The report by the Autism Early Intervention Outcomes Unit was released Monday to
mark the start of Autism Awareness Week.
Problems associated with autism and related conditions such as Asperger Syndrome
have increased 10-fold in the last decade, said Dr. James Morton, one of the
Morton says the Australian government has been caught unaware and the official
response to the rising incidence of autism has been "too little too late." "I
hope that this study ... leads to funding for early detection and early
intervention," he said.
Copyright 2007 by UPI
Dear Mr. Gallup:
This letter is in response to your inquiry requesting nationwide figures for the
last 5 years on people with autism collecting supplemental security income (SSI)
The data on SSI recipients with Autism & Other Pervasive Developmental Disorders
for 2002 - 2006 is enclosed. Autism is not recorded independently from other
pervasive development disorders in our data.
We hope you find this information helpful.
Acting Associate Commissioner
Office of Public Inquiries
See the attachment for the data from Social Security on SSI.
END OF EMAIL
Return To HOME Page